Saturday, April 26, 2008

Saturday 4/26 - 4 days old - updated 11:30 pm

Saturday 4/26 - morning weight 6 lbs 0 oz.

1:15 a.m. - Next feeding wasn't "due" until around 2:30 but Gavin woke on his own hungry :) Nursed strong for 20 minutes then laid on my chest for awhile. The neonatologist was there - he had a new c-sect baby to check out - so he came to talk to me. The good news is Gavin hasn't had anymore desats......bad news is the Earilest he's looking at getting out of here is on Wednesday :( The neo said that after a desat they like to watch for 5-7 days. He will have to be on the monitors (heartrate, pulse ox, respiration & .........ugh whatever the 4th one is i can't remember) the whole time. I don't see how I'm going to be able to stay with him, Rich needs to get back to work. The thought of leaving him here makes me sick. I CAN'T!!!! He's finally nursing so well, I refuse to give him formula. In the morning I need to let Rich know what's up - I just know he's going to say I need to come home. I don't know........I'm just super upset right now.

5:00 am - Another good feeding, not quite as long - just over 10 minutes - but he nursed well. They took some blood for another bili test.

7:30 am - Woke up hungry lookin for me :) Nursed for just over 20 minutes and was wide awake for awhile. When he started getting sleep I just sat there with him on my chest. We were so comfy :) I hated to put him down but his bili levels came back at 14 so he still needs the lights (they were 13.9 yesterday morning). They'll check his levels again at 6 pm tonight. I talked to Rich this morning and told him what the neo said about being here til at least wednesday and I feel a little better now that i've talked to him. I really thought he was gonna push for me to come home and leave Gavin here but he didn't :) He said if his boss doesn't like him taking extra days off he'll just tell him where to shove it and will get a different job. It's a good thing we'll be getting that tax rebate this coming week - it couldn't come at a better time. Well my breakfast should be here soon - will update later today and will get some new pics next time I go in to feed him.

1:00 pm - we had another great feeding at 11:30. We're getting away from the "scheduled" every 3 hour feedings and trying to let him wake on his own which he's been doing :) Sometimes it's 2 hours sometimes 4 so they're willing to let him go up to about 4 1/2 hours before needing to wake him up for a feeding which we havent had to do yet since he's done it on his own :) My sister came up for a bit and after I got done feeding Gavin she took me over to Walgreen's so I could get some soap and shampoo and ibuprofrin. It was nice to get off the hospital grounds even if it was only for about 20 minutes.

3:00 pm - Gavin woke on his own for this feeding too :) So he has woken himself for every single feeding today! I spent about an hour and a half back there with him. He was so alert :) He nursed for a bit, then got his diaper changed, nursed some more then looked around for awhile, nursed some more then we cuddled until he fell asleep. I could have sat like that all day long with him but wanted to get that light back on him. He gets his blood drawn again at 6 pm for the bili levels and the results should be back around 7 or so. I am exhausted so think I will try to get a quick nap in.

All this evenings feedings went great. Just got back from feeding and cuddling with him :) His bili levels are down to 12.2 now :) Which is enough to take him off the lights but we're gonna keep him on them overnight just for the heck of it. He'll come off of them around 7 a.m. after his levels are checked again. They'll then check again tomorrow evening to make sure they didn't rebound. They don't think they will though :) IF his levels are going to go back up though I hope they do it tomorrow that way we can have it all taken care of before wednesday. He had some company for a little while tonight, a c-sect baby was back there for a little while for some fluid in his lungs. Looking at that baby then looking at Gavin and omg Gavin looks like a total little peanut!! lol the nurse said the other baby weighed 10 lbs 11 oz! Well I'm off to get some sleep, he should be waking up around 2 to eat again. Probably won't post very many updates tomorrow, since he'll be off the lights i'll be back there holding him much more :)

2 comments:

Mandy Jo said...

I am sorry he won't be coming home until wednesday. I know how you feel, Kenzie was in the nicu for 2 weeks and leaving her was the hardest thing I have ever done. I pray for you that this will all go by fast for you and your precious little boy is home with the whole family. Glad to hear he is nursing~

Teresa said...

Whew, glad you are going to be able to stay with the baby! That is so hard that he has to stay in the hospital for so long. It's hard being in the hospital. That is SO wonderful that he is nursing so well. I hope his levels go back down.